Sunday, August 30, 2015

Children's Area

As I was thinking about new posts on the library, I realized I don't think I've ever shown off my children's area. First of all, I would like to very clearly state that it is almost NEVER this tidy. There are blocks all over the floor, sometimes trains, the puzzles lose pieces, the tub books get messed up, etc. It doesn't really bother me. I figure the next family in will tidy up, or staff will clean up at night (this greatly annoys some staff, which I can understand since I'm not usually the person who cleans it up, but I still don't think it's a big deal).

Welcome to the children's area! The beginning of the picture book section is to your left, the movies to your right. You can see where I unsuccessfully stuck posters to the shelf end on one side. The children's area is remarkably free from children!

Our train table is definitely the most popular, followed closely by the Duplo table. The train table was purchased from Melissa and Doug and is badly in need of a paint job. The duplo table was Amazon? and probably needs to be cleaned too, but I'm not looking too closely.
The doors lead into our storyroom, which is one of the things I like about this space - that kids can hang out at the train table and listen to storytime or take a break if they're feeling overwhelmed (as happens somewhat frequently in our rather chaotic storytimes)

Here is part of the toy storage and the tub books. I put pictures on all the baskets and the shelves so they could be matched up. The kids are usually pretty good about using them. There is a tub of Duplos, a tub of links (in the shape of cars, trains, etc.) and three baskets of soft, squishy blocks.

Also, puzzles. On top of the shelf are our book bundles and the box for take home storytimes. Empty at the moment, alas.

Looking out of the play area, you can see the picture book shelves etc. Incidentally, we call it both the children's area (which may also refer to the ENTIRE children's area) and the play area.

On the other side are the board books. Usually we put some on display, tucked behind/under the backs of the CD cases.

Finally, in the corner is...this

Coupon holder (which is empty), tissues and hand sanitizer, and art to pick up, which will soon be weeded out.

This is our very ancient couch, which is badly in need of replacement. Also, the ancient trash can.

Recently I moved the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten over here and switched the couch and table to their current configuration. The table wobbles, which drives me insane. All four of the chairs belong to the table, but I usually stick a couple by the Duplo table.

And, again, the big door to our storyroom with flyers.

No comments: