Sunday, January 3, 2016

Celebrating Cybils!

It's the tenth anniversary of the Cybils and we have our awesome shortlists out for your delectation!

My own rambling thoughts on the lists I use most are contained herein

Elementary and Middle Grade Nonfiction
  This is the category which I preside over as organizer. We had a really great group of panelists this year and I know the second round judges have a challenge ahead of them!
  • Kid Presidents by David Stabler
    • I have to admit this is one that I personally disliked. However, part of Cybils is taking another look at things - so I'll be taking another look at this one!
  • Fatal Fever by Gail Jarrow
    • I personally find Jarrow's books fascinating. I don't think the covers are as grabby as they could be, but I have high hopes for this one and purchased it for the library.
  • Emmanuel's Dream by Lauren Thompson
    • I enjoyed this one, even though I'm usually pretty meh about older elementary picture books. Thompson has a light touch though and keeps the story realistic and inspiring while still making it accessible to the younger audience.
  • One Plastic Bag by Miranda Paul
    • The enthusiasm for this one got me to take a second look (no, I am not part of the judging process - at most, I moderate, so the panelists can definitely surprise me!)
  • Untamed: The wild life of Jane Goodall by Anita Silvey
    • We had some really great middle grade nonfiction this year and this is one that's been very popular in my library.
  • I, Fly by Bridget Heos
    • I'm looking forward to using this one in storytimes.
  • Guts and Glory: The Vikings by Ben Thompson
    • If I'd read this before nominations this would have been nominated by me! I am absolutely wowed by this new series and have been recommending it to all and sundry.
Easy Readers and Early Chapters
  I was a first round panelist in this category and it's one I always enjoy participating in.

--Easy Readers
  • Slither Snake by Shelby Alinsky
    • This was my nomination and I'm thrilled it made it to the shortlist! I hope this will inspire more libraries, especially in my consortium, to purchase National Geographic pre-readers so I can use them in my beginning reader book club...
  • Ling and Ting: Twice as Silly by Grace Lin
    • I rediscovered this series and remembered how much I loved it with this latest title
  • Don't Throw it to Mo by David Adler
    • I'm very pleased to see an easy reader featuring sports and a diverse protagonist make it to the shortlist!
  • Rosa Parks by Kitson Jazynka
    • This is the easy reader that made me rethink my entire stance on easy reader biographies. Stunning.
  • In, Over, and On the Farm by Ethan Long
    • I think Long is a worthy successor to Elephant and Piggie. My review of this hasn't posted yet, but rest assured, I loved it.
  • A Pig, A Fox, and a Box by Jonathan Fenske
    • I always enjoy Fenske's art.
  • Sofia Martinez by Jaqueline Jules
    • Love, love, love it. Can't wait to order this whole series for my library.
--Early Chapters
  • Dory and the real true friend by Abby Hanlon
    • I felt conflicted about the first book in the series, but this one really grabbed me. I have a review coming soon.
  • My Pet Human by Yasmine Surovec
    • I can't wait for there to be enough copies of this in the consortium that I can use it for my book club! Loved it.
  • Magical Animal Adoption Agency: Clover's Luck by Kallie George
    • All the feels for George's new book! One of the few times I wish I was a child again so I could discover this.
  • Big Bad Detective Agency by Bruce Hale
    • This didn't click with me, but kids do love mysteries and this will definitely have an audience.
  • Ranger in time: Rescue on the Oregon Trail by Kate Messner
    • This is possibly the most popular title I've had in book club all last year. It hits pretty much every point of what kids are looking to read right now.
  • West Meadows Detectives: The Case of the Snack Snatcher by Liam O'Donnell
    • I hadn't heard of this one at all and it really grabbed me. I can't wait to introduce this new mystery series to my library patrons! Review coming soon.
  • Lulu and the Hamster in the Night by Hilary McKay
    • Is this my favorite Lulu? It's so hard to decide. I love it lots though.
Graphic Novels
Another favorite category of mine, although I was not involved this year.

--Elementary/Middle Grade
  • Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson
    • Oh yeah, this one ROCKS.
  • Sunny Side Up by Jennifer Holm
    • I haven't been able to read this because it's always checked out.
  • Baba Yaga's Assistant by Marika McCoola
    • I really enjoyed this one. Of course, I love Baba Yaga....I'll definitely be buying this, but it will probably go in teen in my library.
  • Dragons Beware! by Jorge Aguirre
    • I didn't get around to reading this sequel, but it's a popular title in the library.
  • Secret Coders by Gene Luen Yang
    • I'm still not sure how I feel about this one, but I bought it and it's circulating briskly.
  • The Marvels by Brian Selznick
    • My only complaint is that this book does not display well at all.
  • Courtney Crumin vol. 7: Tales of a Warlock by Ted Naifeh
    • One last hurrah for Courtney Crumrin! I keep these in teen though.
--Teen
  • Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
    • I have to admit I couldn't get into this one, but I have ordered it for the library and I think it will be popular.
  • Ms. Marvel vol. 1
    • Ordered. Circulates briskly.
  • Honor Girl by Maggie Thrash
    • Still haven't decided if this will circulate or not.
  • Terrorist: Gavrilo Princip the assassin who ignited World War I by Henrik Rehr
    • Graphic nonfiction only circulates for my younger readers
  • March Book Two by John Lewis
    • Adult might have bought this - I know they have the first volume.
  • Oyster War by Ben Towle
    • Haven't heard of this one
  • Lion of Rora by Christos Gage
    • Or this one
Fiction Picture Books
I wasn't involved in this category either, but I love looking at the nominations and lists.
  • Last stop on Market Street by Christian Robinson
    • This had a wonderful rhythm to it.
  • Blizzard by John Rocco
    • I know I bought it...and I remember I liked it.
  • Sidewalk Flowers by JonArno Lawson
    • Lovely art
  • Mango, Abuela and Me by Meg Medina
    • Haven't read it because it's always checked out
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise by Sean Taylor
    • Oh, I LOVED this one! Review coming soon.
  • In a village by the sea by Muon Van
    • Not owned in my consortium - shall probably change that.
  • Bug in a vacuum by Melanie Watt
    • This seems to be one you either get or you don't. It's....different.
Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction
I'm curious to see what came out on this list - I've bought a lot of juvenile fiction in the past year, but it was almost all filling in series.
  • Bayou Magic by Jewell Parker Rhodes
    • I've been moving this on and off the order list for a while. Time to move it on permanently I think.
  • Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge
    • I enjoyed the one Hardinge book I read, but it didn't have an audience in my library.
  • Castle Hangnail by Ursula Vernon
    • MY NOMINATION ALL THE LOVE YAYYYYY!!
  • Wings of Fire: Moon Rising by Tui Sutherland
    • Very popular at the library. Just realized I missed the last release, darn it.
  • Dungeoneers by John David Anderson
    • I bought this because I liked the cover. Now you know.
  • Fog Diver by Joel Ross
    • Huh. Haven't heard of this at all.
  • Mars Evacuees by Sophia McDougall
    • Another one that's been on and off the list.
Middle Grade Fiction
I plan to use this to populate my lists for my high-level reading group.
  • Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands
    • We have this but somehow it ended up in teen. The cover definitely feels more middle grade. Maybe I should take it back...
  • Listen, Slowly by Thanhai Lai
    • Lai is one of the most popular new authors I've been promoting. Lovely covers, lovely books.
  • Blackbird Fly by Erin Entrada Kelly
    • I bought this because I was intrigued by the description, but I'm skeptical that any of my library kids know who the Beatles are. Alas for the younger generation.
  • Book Scavenger by Jennifer Bertram
    • Haven't heard of this one at all!
  • Footer Davis is probably crazy by Susan Vaught
    • Or this one!
Young Adult Nonfiction
I'm really working on this collection and am eager to see what they selected.
  • Symphony for the city of the dead by M. T. Anderson
    • I haven't had time to read this and decide if it will circulate or not.
  • Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsburg and the secret history of the Vietnam War by Steve Sheinkin
    • First Sheinkin book I haven't had time to read )-:) but I did purchase it and it's actually circulated.
  • I will always write back by Patricia Tilton
    • Haven't heard of this one
  • Tommy: The gun that changed America by Karen Blumenthal
    • This was fascinating.
  • Courage and Defiance: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs and Survivors in World War II Denmark by Deborah Hopkinson
    • Haven't had time to read it yet, but it's on order for the library
  • Give me wings by Kathy Lowinger
    • Not sure if it's memoir-ish enough to circulate.
  • Bayard Rustin: The Invisible Activist by Jacqueline Houtman
    • Haven't heard of this one

No comments: