Saturday, June 18, 2016

This week at the library; or, Summer officially begins

this is my neurotic clematis
What's going on, at the library and in my head
  • Monday
    • Open Garden (Jess)
    • Tiny Tots (Pattie)
    • We were all a bit discombobulated today. I don't know. It was just that kind of day. It was, in my opinion, miserably hot inside and outside.
  • Tuesday
    • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions) (Pattie)
    • Nature's Niche
    • Huge, excited group for Nature's Niche but with a better organization it wasn't as chaotic. I scheduled both my aides to help supervise (although we still somehow, um, lost a hissing cockroach but I expect it will show up....)
  • Wednesday
    • We Explore Favorite Artist Eric Carle
    • Very nice, enthusiastic group for storytime. Unfortunately discovered the basement has leaked/flooded. Not, like, inches deep but definite puddles.... good thing I put most of our stuff up or in plastic! Someone donated three HUGE tubs of Legos!
  • Thursday
    • Books 'n' Babies
    • Lego Club
    • Our local daycare for school-age kids brought a couple groups - they were nice but exhausting. The day kind of went down from there. We were all exhausted and frustrated. I personally think everyone's tempers would be improved if it was less humid and cooler; well, I know MY temper would be improved!
  • Friday
    • Maker Workshop: Sewing
    • Very nice turn-out and enthusiasm from the kids - I hope they all keep sewing as they took their projects home with them! I am feeling a little daunted by the amount of work I have that needs to be done next week, ideally on Monday....
Overheard in the Children's Department
  • "I'll call you back, I'm with my baby" (all the feels for this parent!)
  • "Do I have to wear pants?"
  • "I wanna see the monster!" older sibling says "that's a hamster"
What the kids are reading; A selection
  • Yo-Kai Watch - actually wanted dvds (which don't exist) but I've been meaning to get books
  • Recommended Jeff Strand to a teen
  • Recommended Rick Riordan to an adult reader
  • Squish, Babymouse, Nathan Hale
  • Fangbone - need to find some read-alikes
  • ABC books for summer school
  • Rumpelstiltskin - they're putting on a play?
  • Red Queen
  • superheroes
  • bilingual books
  • "real" stories (nonfiction for a little one)
  • camping (all checked out)
  • sewing
  • drawing
  • finally! WWE fans! I bought a whole set last year b/c so many kids asked for them and then....silence.
  • "rescue dog" after some investigation turned out to be Messner's Ranger in Time
  • minecraft
  • "books about Nazis" wanted WWII history

No comments: