There's a subset of scary stories that quite a few kids also like - if you think of traditional scary stories as "help a monster is chasing me!" these are more "help a slime monster is oozing on me!" So be warned, these are some icky reads! Most of them are zombies, but there are a few other monsters thrown in.
- Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies by Andrea Beaty
- Alien bunnies from outer space with hypnotic eyes and razor sharp teeth attack. Spam saves the day. There is a sequel, which is even grosser!
- Zombiekins by Kevin Bolger
- Stanley Nudelman accidentally turns his stuffed toy into a zombie and releases it on the fourth grade. He's also the author of Sir Fartsalot Hunts the Booger, so that gives you an idea of the humor. There was supposed to be a sequel and kids asked for it hopefully for a long time, but it never materialized.
- Case File 13 by J. Scott Savage
- Scooby-Doo fans will like this mystery/monster series.
- Ghosthunters by Cornelia Funke
- The first book features an "incredibly revolting ghost" and the rest follow suit. We have a selection of titles from the series.
- My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish by Mo O'Hara
- The title pretty much says it all - goldfish is zombiefied and sets out for REVENGE.
- Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie by David Lubar
- An experiment goes awry, turning a fifth grader into a zombie! These are never as popular as I think they should be.
- Something Wickedly Weird by Chris Mould
- These are sort of ghoulish mysteries. They're quite British and feature a boy who goes to live in a house with all sorts of supernatural, ghostly, and weird happenings. We have part of the series.
- Weenies by David Lubar
- This is a series of collections of "warped and creepy" tales. They range from the quick and silly to the "freak out your friends around the campfire".
- Zombie Chasers by John Kloepfer
- Wimpy Kid meets zombies.