Saturday, November 5, 2016

This week at the library; or, The week of crazy

this is my life
Happening this week
  • Monday
    • Read with Pearl
    • No school today. For the first time in my memory, Elkhorn scheduled its trick-or-treating on a day when we were open. After eloquently arguing at the staff meeting that we need double coverage from 5-6, 5-6 was....dead. In fact the entire evening was dead. Possibly the pheasant who flew into the window is dead also (not really, it ran off afterwards).
  • Tuesday
    • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions) (Pattie)
    • Bookaneers
    • We checked out 45 books at Bookaneers! The kids are really getting into the reading spirit!
  • Wednesday
    • Youth Center
    • Got hit with storms coming and going - had to cancel the planned 1st grade visit. We melted crayons at the youth center for two hours. The kids were into it.
  • Thursday
    • Books 'n' Babies (Pattie)
    • Mad Scientists Club: Building Challenge
    • I came in late to work because I knew I was going to need to stay late. And also because I took ibuprofen and overslept. Well, these things happen. It was messy and chaotic and a ton of people came and we got pretty much everything that had been in the basement GONE.
  • Friday
    • Space Night
    • I went to a meeting of local youth services librarians at noon. We had a lot of fun although I was a bit of a downer because I had a headache...then I went back to work for a few hours and then over to the middle school for space night.(it was actually for ages 5 and under, it's just the middle school is a handy place to have things). I still have a headache.
      • I took: paper tubes, paper, tape, scissors and markers to make rockets. The Osmo, books and our remote circ, and event calendars. There were over 100 people there.
  • Saturday
    • Fairy Tale Adventure
    • Was it worth all the work? Only 50 people came. The weather has been really, really mild - last year it was icky and people wanted to be inside. However, the people who came loved it and I think the more we do it the more people will come. I am so tired.
Library talk
  • Patron excited about the new Listen 'n' Read (easy reader audio) bags.
  • One of the book club moms complimented me on my patience. This is really nice to hear when I feel like things are getting chaotic!
  • Several middle schoolers at the youth center revived interest in visiting the library which they hadn't done in years.
  • Several teachers brought their kids to the Fairy Tale Adventure and were so grateful that we had done a Saturday program they could attend.
Reader's Advisory
  • Sudden interest in My Weird School - need to update and add to series
  • Llama llama
  • School requests - folktales, election books, easy readers
  • Big fan of Stinky - recommended Secret Science Alliance
  • Teacher requests for election books, easy readers, and folktales

No comments: