Friday, April 28, 2017

Franny K. Stein Mad Scientist: Lunch Walks Among Us by Jim Benton

I know this is an older series, but it still circulates vigorously. I decided to throw it in as a choice for my book club readers but then realized I had never actually read any of the titles...

Franny is a little...different. She likes to dress in lab coats, has a room full of bats, and is fond of....experimenting. Her parents have tried to make her more ordinary, but with no success. When she moves to a new town, she is upset that the kids are scared of her and she has no friends, so she starts a science experiment to fit in and be normal. It works - a little too well! Now her family is worried about her, she has friends but does she really want them? And when the lunch goes critical who will save the day?

Benton's funny illustrations show a menacing little girl, wacky monsters, and ridiculously "normal" classroom. This is a funny story that will make kids snort with laughter - and possibly thing a little about fitting in and being yourself.

Verdict: If I didn't already have this series in the library I wouldn't start from scratch, but I will definitely keep replacing it as needed since it continues to be popular. It's also a higher lexile level, which is useful.

ISBN: 9780689862953; Published 2004 by Simon & Schuster; Purchased for the library (replaced several times)

No comments: