Saturday, September 23, 2017

This week at the library; or, is September over yet?

What's happening
  • Monday
    • Read with Pearl
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
    • Garden to Kitchen with Kids
    • 1st grade field trip
  • Thursday
  • Friday - no programs. YS summer wrap-up meeting
I had a good turnout on Tuesday - about 30 people (even counting some teens who didn't stay long). I borrowed our teen ipad to show some of the instructional videos, which was helpful. The weather has gotten hot so I'm getting some field trips popping over. The first Book Explosion went pretty well - I expect more kids to come and add to the core group, although starting with all girls may make it difficult to get some boys into the mix. I didn't use my regular 1st grade field trip - it was too last-minute. I took one out in the garden with Ms. Pattie and they all got to pick vegetables and the other got a tour of the backroom. I read some funny books to both classes. Friday I hosted our consortium's summer wrap-up meeting (not everyone can make it because we have a lot of small libraries, but we had about 10 people which was pretty good) and I worked the info desk for the afternoon and closing for a colleague. It has been an exhausting week, so I'm thinking about some positive things that have happened:
  • I helped a patron with a difficult reader's advisory question for their struggling reader and got warm and heartfelt thanks.
  • When our computers went down I typed up a document for a patron. It's not something we'd normally do, but it was what they really needed and a service I could provide.
  • I heard a storytime dad raving over Ernest and Celestine and showed them my movie list of unusual and "different" family movies. They were thrilled and thanked me repeatedly.
  • I signed up several new kids for all three book clubs and most picked out books.
  • A storytime grandma said how much she loved all our new books - there were so many things they hadn't seen yet! (yay for weeding! there actually aren't that many new books lol)
Book choices for Book Explosion

No comments: