Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Small Readers: I can run by Murray Head

While I still have reservations about some of the artwork in Holiday House’s I Like to Read series, they’re really the only imprint that regularly turns out excellent books in the emergent, or A through E levels.

Despite my animosity towards squirrels (must they dig up everything in my garden?) this is a cute and attractive title. The endpapers consist of multiple panels of photographs of squirrels, peeking out of holes, eating nuts, or just generally looking cute. The left side of each spread features a single sentence, “I can…” and an action word. Some, like “run” and “hide” are repeated. On the right side a photograph of a squirrel completing the action is shown. Cute pictures of squirrels peeking out of holes, dodging hawks, and eating peanuts, will make this a popular choice for animal-lovers.

The book is in I Like to Read format, which means it’s not the typical rectangular shape. It’s a much wide, almost picture book size, about 9x9. The simple text puts this at a level A, just right for emergent readers.

Verdict: A fun addition to a popular series. Recommended.

ISBN: 9780823438310; Published August 2017 by Holiday House; Purchased for the library

No comments: