Saturday, December 1, 2018

This week at the library; or, Holidays begin

Happening at the library
  • Monday
    • Paws to read
    • Managers' Meeting
    • Worked 12-8
  • Tuesday
    • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions)
    • Meeting
    • Worked 9-7:30
  • Wednesday
    • Worked 10-5
  • Thursday
    • Books 'n' Babies
    • OPtions field trip
    • Worked 10-5
  • Friday
  • Saturday
    • Christmas parade
    • Worked 10-2
Major snowstorm Sunday night meant no school Monday - Playgroup and Bedtime storytime were cancelled since Miss Pattie works for the school district. We had chihuahua puppies for Paws to Read - I think there were more staff than patrons in there (I was not one of them - I prefer big, fluffy dogs. And Rottweilers. Corgis are good too.)

Tuesday - smallish group for toddlers. I finished and submitted a grant then stayed late to attend a parents of young adults with disabilities meeting as the library representative. Lots of good info.

Wednesday - working on the winter/spring newsletter and collection development. Also a busy afternoon on the desk.

Middle schooler "you want to hear something?"
Me, with trepidation "like what?"
Middle schooler "you know the middle school?"
Me, "yes"
Middle schooler "you know the pond?"
Me, "yes" (the middle school has a big wetland/garden/prairie kind of area and a pond)
Middle schooler "I fell in. I'm soaking wet up to here (measures up to stomach"
Me "thank you for that information don't you think you should go home and get some dry clothes on??" (did I mention it was about 20 degrees outside?! and they already walked half a mile from the middle school to the library?!)
Middle schooler "nah, I'm fine."
Me "so you just wanted me to worry about you. got it."
(I did later convince them to call for a ride instead of walking a mile or so home.)

Thursday - finally got my oil changed. Good news - my car will live for now! (It is rather ancient and there is a certain amount of rust, but I have explained that all I care about it whether or not it will explode and apparently I'm good on that front.)

Friday - finished the last of the errands after my outreach and some misc. work. Renewed my driver's license finally! Saturday - on the information desk.

I live in the Christmas Card town. There's a lot of Christmas stuff. Usually, for the youth services department, we have a number of more or less neutral holiday programs (it's hard to be completely neutral with an entire town decorating with Christmas decorations and 20+ classic Christmas paintings on display in the library, so I don't really try that hard). The town Christmas stuff happens on the first weekend, then next weekend is life-size Candyland! Our circulation staff really stepped up, putting a lot of time into these events. I was very grateful because that left me and my staff free to concentrate on Candyland! Then comes toddler cookie decorating, a gingerbread house playgroup (thankfully Miss Pattie is doing that one - I did one one year and was traumatized) and the circulation staff have also got the book presents under the tree (they wrap picture books and easy readers and kids check them out and then get to "open a present".)

No comments: