Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Read, Read, Read, said the Baby: Leaves by Carol Lawrence, illustrated by Francesco Zito

I was really excited when I saw this board book series, Baby Explorer, and even bought one, Water, but now that I've actually read one I'm torn.

The first spread is a simple invitation to look and listen in the forest. But immediately on the following page, the book dives into a complex discussion of deciduous trees, how leaves are formed, types of leaves, chlorophyll, and the function of leaves.

The art is bright and simple with clearly labeled diagrams and patterns. Friendly-looking squirrels, colorful leaves with clear veins, and cute bugs fill the pages.

On the one hand, I do love introducing children to nonfiction concepts and vocabulary. The text is simple and clearly explained. On the other hand, I'm really doubtful that the average baby or toddler is going to sit still for (or grasp) the complex concepts and vocabulary.

Verdict: Textually, this is too advanced for a baby or toddler. However, the pictures are attractive and sometimes caregivers and parents do want board books for older children who can't handle the more delicate pages of picture books. I think on the whole I'll buy them, but I probably won't use them in storytime or recommend them as read-alouds.

ISBN: 9780807505168; Published October 1, 2018 by Albert Whitman; Borrowed from another library in my consortium

No comments: