Saturday, June 1, 2019

This week at the library; or, Field trips

Continuous drawing from the 3rd graders
Happening at the library
  • Monday
    • Library closed for holiday
  • Tuesday
    • 1st grade field trip
    • Book-a-librarian sewing
    • Teen sewing club
  • Wednesday
    • Kindergarten field trip (four classes)
    • 2nd grade field trip
  • Thursday
    • Kindergarten field trip (four classes) (2 sessions)
    • 3rd grade field trip (three classes)
  • Friday
    • 2nd grade field trip (three classes)
    • Library on the Go: 1st grade school visit (three classes)
    • 5th grade field trip (four classes)
  • Worked 28.5 hours; 4 hours on desk; 9 programs
  • 8 hours holiday
Daily notes
  • I was trying to take some time off this week because of the extra hours I've worked. So I went in late on Tuesday, with a severe sinus headache, a lot of things went wrong or were frustrating, and other than the field trip (the kids really liked I can only draw worms) I spent the whole afternoon emailing teachers about books checked out on institutional cards and sorting, processing, and fixing issues with the holds for field trips and summer programs. My associate J took over book-a-librarian (patron finishing a project from our last workshops) as well as helping out the teens, who have some new members who are learning to sew.
  • I dropped off my car to be serviced and then watched the sky anxiously as my associate T and I set up for the kindergarten visit. Thankfully, the rain held off all day. We had four classes of kindergarteners for their field trip and my volunteer B helped out as well. Then I made a push to finish checking all the class lists so I could send them off with T when she ran errands and had a visit with a 2nd grade class. I've convinced them that I don't just shelve books but they've decided I'm our (male) adult services helper. *headdesk*. Then I had a staff meeting and finally wrote up a grant report and left early to pick up my car.
  • The storm was a lot iffier on Thursday, so I took my colleague and all my puppets over to the school and we did the kindergarteners in two groups - storytime and puppets. I told them to be sure to come to the library after school for the obstacle course and at least one kid did! Then I had three classes of third graders - my colleague did the outdoor portion and I did inside art and stories. We went a little long checking out in the end, and our circulation staff were truly heroic in making 20+ library cards in barely 30 minutes!
  • Can I make it one. more. day? 2nd grade field trip in the morning, lovely group of kids, very enthusiastic about making their puppets, teachers were super nice and flexible when we went long. Of course, this meant I was just barely in time (ok, a little late) for my next visit, when I had to go over to the same school (the kids were thrilled to wave to us as we drove by) and do 1st grade. I basically read them a litany of stories while my associate grabbed about five at a time to check out Library on the Go. The school is not air-conditioned. Then back to the library, a brief break, and set-up for the fifth graders. This group almost all had library cards, but almost all of them were expired and/or the kids had forgotten to bring them. I wrote down numbers and updated addresses like crazy! 
  • I still need to write up some to-do lists for next week, plan programs, and write updated field trips so I have them on hand for next year, but I'll do that later this weekend. After I sleep.

No comments: