Monday, October 21, 2019

Your amazing digestion from mouth through intestine by Joanne Settel, illustrated by Steve Bjorkman

When Joanne Settel sent me her first book of poetry about the human body, Your Amazing Skin, I was a little doubtful. However, I doubt no more and when I heard she had a new collection out, this time focusing on digestion, I was all for it!

This is the good stuff that kids will absolutely grab off the shelf - all the potty humor, pooping, farts, and belches you could want (maybe even a little more). Best of all, it's all absolutely true, nonfiction from beginning to end!

Readers can start at the beginning and take a journey through the human digestion system learning about tastes and smells, "I really hate that broccoli," swallowing, "Saliva never goes away," the stomach's functions, "Will gum I swallowed stick inside?" and the human waste system, "I'm feeling sick and have the runs." The text is peppered with gems like

"I was laughing and chewing and swallowed my gum.
And now I'm afraid that I've done something dumb.
I know it sounds silly, but I've got these fears
that the gum will be stuck deep inside me for years."

"My older sis loves broccoli,
but it tastes really gross to me.
I take one bite and start to chew,
then spit it out before I'm through."

"Your kidneys both work constantly
to filter blood and make your pee;
your urine is the way that you
get rid of blood waste passing through."

In between the brisk, rhyming chunks of information is included various facts and explanations of interest, from the importance of a balanced, nutritious diet to cool facts about urine. Bjorkman's humorous cartoons (check out the bunny showing off their blue urine...) are spread out over the pages, keeping text-shy kids reading. Back matter includes an extensive and detailed glossary, links for further research and information, references and suggested reading, and index.

Verdict: Kids who have passed beyond the humor of potty jokes and want to really know what's going on in their bodies will be delighted with this frank, humorous discussion of bodily functions. Browse for helpful tidbits to supplement lessons about the human body, or just enjoy the fun of a poem explaining the science behind vomit.

ISBN: 9781481486880; Published July 2019 by Atheneum; Review copy provided by publisher; Donated to the library

No comments: