Sunday, December 15, 2019

Librarian's Picks; or, Did I manage to add anything that was NOT a series?

Kids (and adults) love series. I myself enjoy many series (although I tend to lose interest in kids' series after the first book or two). There's something very comforting about revisiting a favorite world or characters and knowing, generally, what to expect in a book. But sometimes, I feel like all I do in the juvenile fiction section is buy series! Replacements for damaged series, fill-in titles that I've forgotten, and endless sequels. So, I'm looking at the juvenile fiction I added that was NOT a series, just for fun and to prove that sometimes I do buy stand-alones!
Realistic Fiction
  • Stand on the sky by Erin Bow
  • Maybe a mermaid by Josephine Cameron
  • Lety out loud by Angela Cervantes
  • Saving Winslow by Sharon Creech
  • Running on empty by S. E. Durrant
  • Far away by Lisa Graff (donation)
  • Becket list by Adele Griffin
  • Dog Driven by Terry Johnson
  • Song for a whale by Lynne Kelly
  • Pie in the sky by Remy Lai
  • Sand Dog by Sarah Lean (donation)
  • Because of the rabbit by Cynthia Lord
  • Not if I can help it by Carolyn Mackler
  • Caterpillar summer by Gillian McDunn
  • Merci Suarez changes gears by Meg Medina
  • Wolf called Wander by Rosanne Parry
  • Good kind of trouble by Lisa Moore Ramee
  • Amal Unbound by Aisha Saeed
  • Roll with it by Jamie Sumner
  • Bridge home by Padma Venkatraman
Historical Fiction
  • Stolen Girl by Marsha Skrypuch
Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • Spark by Sarah Beth Durst
  • Phantom Tower by Keir Graff (donation)
  • Midsummer's mayhem by Rajani Larocca
  • Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee
  • Gamer Army by Trent Reedy
  • Dragon Warrior by Katie Zhao

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

I'm starting to hate series, since the fourth or fifth and onward to virtually unread. One big exception- The Iron Trial series by Black and Clare. The rest.. don't know that more than two people have ever picked up the tenth So You Want to be a Wizard book.

Jennifer said...

I know!! and then it's like, ok, number 3 and 7 checked out, so do I weed 8-10 or 4-10 or just leave the whole thing and what if I somehow only own 2, 7, and 9? It's so untidy!!