Saturday, April 4, 2020

This week at the library; or, Week 3 of the pandemic

A few things I took home on Monday. Yes, they were all
stacked neatly before I drove home...
Back to work this week, or as back to work as we can get with the library closed down. However, there is certainly no lack of things to do!

Monday
 - Virtual managers' meeting, then it was my turn to go into the library. We are carefully spacing it out so that there is never more than one person in and nobody on a regular basis. I had a long list of things I needed for work this week and filled a wagon with stuff. I also had things to print and needed to check on projects for other staff.
 - Other than that, the main project today was setting up a Facebook schedule for virtual programs/recordings and posts with my staff and colleagues. Lots of content to put together. I am working out a schedule for everyone - for me, I am trying to mostly stick to my regular schedule, 12-8 on Monday, 9-5 Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 11-7 on Thursday. First three hours of the day are "office hours" when people can get a quick answer via phone or email (I'm not giving my phone out publicly b/c I don't want to answer it that much!) and then the rest of the day is various projects and professional development. I am trying to take a short walk every hour or so to remind myself not to sit in my chair all day! It's not that comfortable a chair anyways.

I will be posting early every morning (not in real time) a project or video relating to my early literacy/STEAM activity calendars. Our school colleague who does most of our storytimes has promised a weekly storytime video. My part-time associate will do two posts a week, one on outdoor activities, one on movement.

Tuesday
 - I spent most of the day writing Facebook posts - almost 30 for my daily activity calendar posts. I paired each one with an online resource and I'll start making the accompanying storytime videos tomorrow.
I also did a lot of administrative stuff and contacting people - letting my schools and daycares know I'm available for virtual visits, contacting all the patrons on my newsletter list, making sure all programs were cancelled, etc.

Wednesday
 - Wrote my monthly report, and recorded 14 videos (without loss of life or limb). It was extremely frustrating and had there been anyone there to scream at I would have screamed, but my mom fled to the park to sit in the sun.

Thursday - Friday
 - Lots of miscellaneous work, finishing up projects etc. Working on the missing/lost lists, several people seem to have decided to pay for their lost library items online!

Webinars
  • Writing Box Program by Lisa Von Drasek (infopeople)
  • Using children's books to approach trauma-informed education (Lee & Low)
  • Lerner Spring 2020 Preview
  • New Spring Nonfiction (School Library Journal)

No comments: