Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler

Don't you just loooove that cover? I was delighted to discover, when I finally cracked it, that there's a delightful silhouette illustration on the inside!

In this retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, we hear the story from the perspective of Zita, the youngest and unknown princess, who was banished to the servant's quarters when she was born and her mother died. Zita is delighted to discover she has sisters, but can't help being hurt and frightened by her father's attitude towards her. And then her sisters begin to weaken and only Zita sees that their shoes are worn and an enchantment is at work....

Verdict: This is a fresh and enjoyable fantasy with enough of the original fairy tale to steady the plot but plenty of characterization and new elements to hook the reader. I did feel that the dialogue was a bit stilted and the language overly romantic and heavy in spots, although the latter is just my personal preference. I added this to the library's collection last month and it's been quite popular, zipping on and off the new shelf. I recommend it if you have fans of light fantasy such as Kate Coombs, Jessica Day George, and Victoria Hanley.

ISBN: 0061824984; Published February 2010 by HarperCollins; ARC provided by publisher at ALA

1 comment:

Kathy Martin said...

This one does sound good. I like fairy tale retellings and they are popular in my media centers too.