Saturday, March 12, 2011

This week at the library; or, I brave the terrors of high school!

Is it just me, or is there more to do every day?

Monday
  • We made no sew yarn creatures for Make it and Take it, borrowed from The Imaginary Librarian. It sort of worked. I was working with younger kids, mostly 7 and 8 year olds, and they weren't very patient. Plus, the project had looked so easy I hadn't really tested it and after some frustration I went back and looked at it again and realized we needed to wrap a LOT more yarn than we were, especially because it kept slipping off the fins. Um, fins, well, I had gingerbread shaped die cuts from cardboard, but I had some giant fish too, so...anyways, the kids got more into it and it was fun in the end.
Tuesday
  • I spent Tuesday morning at the high school, doing a presentation on the delights of being a librarian and selecting books and reading aloud to babies up through early grades. This was for Child Development classes and the first one wasn't very interested. Probably because they were mostly asleep. The second class was a little more lively, but I emphasized that one of the advantages of being a public librarian was not having to get up at an unearthly hour in the morning. High school around here starts around 7 or 7:30. Yech.
  • I wasn't at work in the afternoon, having gone to Chicago, but it turns out that it wasn't the wrong cords for the Wii. The Wii is dead. It got knocked over a couple weeks ago and that finished it off. So, no more gaming until it gets repaired.
Wednesday
  • I made a giant shopping trip to Walmart and bought $500 worth of blu-ray and Wii games for circulation, despite the fact that I am personally convinced that blu-ray=betamax. However, we were putting a press release in the paper on Thursday saying we had blu-ray and we had...Beauty and the Beast on blu-ray, so I had to get some more.
  • We only had 26 at Lego Building Club, down from 51 at our last meeting. However, the weather was icky and we had snow, so that's probably why.
Thursday
  • We had a pretty good group for preschool storytime. Our theme was guinea pigs and we read Clarice Bean Guess Who's Babysitting, Guinea Pigs Add Up, and Twenty is too many. We did some very intense counting. I had planned to do something with fur scraps, but had forgotten to get the fur, so we went for fingerpaint and everyone had fun, even if a few parents were a little worried about the mess factor. It's washable folks! Small children are supposed to be messy!
  • Our tween area is still under construction - I had a bunch of the kids decorate new die cuts for the windows. Much fun was had by all and only a small amount of glue was smeared about.
Friday and Saturday
I worked a half day on Friday, starting with an exciting staff meeting and then I worked Saturday. Nothing of great note happened, other than another beleaguered parent suffering from a severe case of lexilitis.

No comments: