Saturday, October 1, 2011

This week at the library; or, Fall Showers

Monday - started the day with rain, finished the day with rain. This is not a complaint - I like rain. Just an observation. Finished the missing list, realized I need about $1500 to replace all of the missing items, realized I do not have $1500, went home grumpy. Am missing, among many, many, many other items..

  • All of Disney's Peter Pan movies, which are currently in the vault and cannot be replaced
  • About half of John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series
  • Cinda Williams Chima's complete oeuvre (no idea how they got an entire shelf full of thick books out!)
  • Sonya Sones AGAIN which leads me to suspect it isn't kids stealing her, but jerks who don't want her books available - I'm 90% sure my missing Robie Harris titles fall into that category as well
  • and the Alfred Kropp books I bought as a special request from a middle school boy
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows audiobook on cd - which will cost $50-$80 to replace!!
  • Several YA titles that disappeared last year almost immediately after I purchased them, including Black Hole Sun, Poison Eaters, Incarceron, Pure, Cracked up to be, Where she went, Tomorrow when the war began and more
  • Several teen sex/dating books
  • All of my Essential Wolverine comic collections, none of which are available through my vendor any longer
  • Robin McKinley's Sunshine, missing for the 2nd? 3rd? time
  • And much, much more
AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH

Tuesday - more rain. Lovely, cool rain *sighs of happiness* I love drizzly, foggy falls, it gives my garden that last burst of green before everything dies for the winter. Our second Make it and Take it session of the month, mini journals, went ok - 6 kids. My attendance goal is between 5 and 15, so this was a little on the low side. But one of the girls had read a book off my Make it and Take it display (Daisy Dawson) and loved it and I introduced a whole extended family to Dragonbreath (each cousin picked one of the books to take home).

Wednesday - even more rain! Yay! I had about 25 for Preschool Interactive, which was less than last week's record 40, but much more manageable. We ended up doing MacDonald's Squeaky Door instead of Princess Mouse b/c I didn't think the kids would sit still for the longer story and we decided we liked MaryAnn Kohl's starch and tissue paper project more than the starch and chalk project. Our Messy Art Club numbers are back up - had about 30 - and we did lots and lots and lots and lots of collage!

Thursday - my first library visit from a school group this year, just one kindergarten class. Afternoon visits = squirrely kids! But we all had fun anyways. I read Ten Rules You Absolutely Must Not Break If You Want To Survive The School Bus by John Grandits. It was kind of long, but they all sat very still. I don't know how much of the story they grasped, but as their teacher said, they're all past the first bus ride jitters by now anyways. Then we read This Book Eats People by John Perry with lots of delighted giggling and fake screams and by the time we got to I'm a Shark by Bob Shea everyone was ready to participate (i.e. shriek at appropriate moments) Then we made butterfly masks and it was over! My visits are usually 30 minutes and this was an hour, but it went well.

Friday - it's the first Friday of the month, so thanks to the senior group that meets in our community group, there is no parking, at all, for our storytime people. Fridays are fun. Ha ha ha.

Cybils here I come!



No comments: