- Another half week, now that the holidays are over. School starts on Wednesday here, so it's pretty quiet.
- New dvd shelving so everything needed shifting (not to mention putting the shelving together. this was very painful and involved much damage to my poor hands)
- More publicity, more collection development, more sick staff. One of my poor colleagues is starting the new year with strep and we had an orgy of disinfecting after she had to leave.
Statistics! My circulation statistics for the year came in and they are beautiful
- Total circulation - children's, young adult, av - was 107,520
- This is how my collection development statistics work - chart below (I round out all the numbers. It doesn't have to be exact!)
- I put together circulation numbers in each category. There are a few minor things I don't count, I add concept books to picture books, etc.
- I figure out what percentage of total circulation each area is
- I figure out what percentage of the total budget each area is and divide by 11 (months I order)
- I adjust the budget, because prices for items vary, I might be planning to weed a category, I might want more circ in an area and buy more there, etc. This is where the psychic math comes in.
- Based on the estimated price for materials in the category, I estimate how many items in each area I can buy each month. I also factor in the Junior Library Guild levels I've already purchased and leave space for replacements, etc. I have about $1,260 each month (taking into account what I've already spent on JLG) so that leaves me a little wiggle room for replacements or additional purchases.
|Circulation||% of Circ||Budget||Monthly budget||Adjusted||Titles||Categories||Purchased|
|22500||20||3000||273||300||30||PIC (tub, concept)|
|7400||7||1050||95||150||15||JFIC (1 JLG)|
|8000||7||1050||95||200||15||JNF (1 JLG)|
|5200||5||750||68||50||5||YAFIC (5 JLG)|
I also compared to last year's statistics.
- Picture books up by about 4,000
- Juvenile series up by almost 2,000
- Easy readers, juvenile fiction, nonfiction, up about 1,000
- Juvenile graphics up about 800
- Boardbook circ up 100
- Young adult graphics went up about 300, Young adult fiction about 200
Approximate hours this week
- Wednesday, 9-5
- Thursday, 9-5
- Friday, 9-5