Saturday, January 18, 2014

This week at the library; or, More Exciting Weather and other things

Programs
  • Coffee, Kids, and Conversation (Pattie)
  • Tiny Tots (Pattie)
  • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions) (Pattie)
  • Preschool Interactive
  • Books 'n' Babies (Pattie)
  • Lego Club
  • Family Game Night (Pattie)
  • We Explore Science: Fossils (Pattie)
Random Commentary
  • We started back programs this week. As you can see, it was a much more exciting week, program-wise, for Pattie than it was for me! Since we started back later in the month, all her irregular programs converged in the first week.
  • Whooping Cough is making its way through the school district. We thought one of our staff members had it...but maybe not...hopefully not...but it was exciting while it lasted (and while we all figured out if our immunizations were up to date). I learned that you can see your record online! Very handy, especially since the last tetanus shot I remember having was when I was 16.
  • I don't know if it was the stress or being tired or what but it was just an annoying week. I sent the wrong book order and had to send another one, the piles of work never grew less, and I had a number of extremely tense drives home in poor weather.
  • But, we started well with programs. Smaller numbers of course, as we often get when a break and bad weather converge, but still quite a decent turn-out.
  • This is also our winter book sale, although since we got a permanent Friends store, it was just a bag sale. Which was good, because it meant we could still have Lego Club in the community room. There just weren't any tables...but kids are bendy, they had no problem building on the floor, or making their fossils on the floor on Friday for science. We had about 35 people for Lego Club, which is a little low, but quite good for snow, the book sale (which meant no parking) etc.
  • Every time I think I have gotten a handle on this supervisory thing, something new happens and throws me for a loop. I am beginning to suspect that management is a life-long process that is never perfected and there is no handy handbook to tell you how to deal with every contingency. Current supervisory things I'm working - balancing my second aide with my first aide, making sure the shelving doesn't all get dumped on one or the other, everything gets done in a timely fashion, but nobody is left sitting around staring at the wall. It's hard.

No comments: