Saturday, December 20, 2014

This week at the library; or, I'm dun-dun-DONE

What's happening in my head and at the library
  • I am so tired. Monday - a gazillion interruptions and questions and things, but I still managed to get through most of the Rs. The Rs were weird. A disproportionate number of them were checked out, so I will have to wait for them to be returned to go through them. All the take home storytimes are gone but I didn't have time to make more. 
  • Tuesday I finished the Rs and started the Ss. There are a LOT of missing Ss. I had to clean out the storyroom, where I had dumped all the random accumulation in my office yesterday and go out to kindergarten, where the kids had very obviously not had enough recess.
  • Wednesday I did the Gingerbread storytime in the morning and it was quite successful, but in conjunction with my mad push to finish this project, stressful. I only had an hour on the information desk and otherwise I holed up in my office and got to the SOBs (Seuss took a long time b/c many of the books had multiple copies and I had to decide how many titles we needed and which had to be replaced)
  • Thursday I started with my three outreach visits (also suffering from holiday ennui), then came back for two hours on the information desk, then I left to start my vacation early, since I'd worked so long last week. I made it to the STE's. Oh well.
  • I really hate this time of year. I know, I know, "where's your festive spirit?" well, let me tell you, it's really hard to be festive when you've got a very small window of time bracketed with several huge back to back programs, urgent projects, and then everything starting all over again without adequate time to plan or rejuvenate. My programs resume January 10th and I took a few days of vacation, which really pushes things down to the wire, especially since I will be interviewing people around or after the 12th. But I can't take time off during programming for more than a day here and there and I have other things (Cybils) that need to be taken care of. So, there it is.
  • I keep telling myself if I just make it through this semester, I will have a year of pre-planned programs, a trained associate, and everything will be easier. I don't feel it right now though.
Programs
  • First time anyone has ever asked for Hannukah books. I actually had some to offer, mostly because we forgot to ever bring them up with the Christmas books like I usually do.
  • Treasure Hunters by James Patterson - read-alikes for a seven year old. I suggested 39 Clues, although the caregiver was concerned that it not be too violent or have "evil" in it and I thought afterwards that Benedict Society might have been a better choice. Oh well.

No comments: