Saturday, June 6, 2015

This week at the library; or, Are we having fun yet?

What's going on; in my head and at the library
  • Monday - staff meeting, youth services meeting with all my staff to get ready for summer, training my new aide, writing reports.
  • Tuesday - elementary school visit, worked a very long day because I didn't want to bother to go home before I went to a book club in the evening.
  • Wednesday - elementary school visit, then a bunch of misc. stuff (toilet-plunging, emails) then ran errands (thank you certificates etc.) then went home fairly early, trying to stick to 40 hours a week.
  • Thursday - elementary school visit, then home early.
  • Friday - started with the last school visit around noon; next year I need to remember to bring the remote circ tablet - I ended up with a scribbled list of requests for holds! also, that there is NO parking on field day. Then camp out in the evening
  • Saturday - summer reading officially begins. I was trying to do things aimed at the youngest kids for a kick-off, since there's a huge community event for school-age kids, but it didn't really pan out. It was supposed to be a community event but we only ended up with a few people and signed up about 80 kids. It was perfect. We had the Usborne sale, Pattie and Head Start and the animal shelter in the lobby with cute dogs and lots of giveaways. We had lots of enthusiastic sign-ups, tons of circulation, and nobody was exhausted or miserable or too crazy. We have 435 kids signed up for summer reading.
Some Projects Completed/In Progress This Week
  • Monthly reports and bills
  • Processed all the stacks of new books (putting on new stickers, pinning, discharging)
Programs
Ongoing and New Stealth Programs and Displays
What the kids are reading; A Selection
  • Teens are starting to drift in - this is the brief moment I will see them asking for books before they vanish again for the summer. Requests for horror, Rick Riordan, adventure, manga, etc.
  • School visit booktalking
    • Mr. Pants is this year's surprise top request. Last year it was Holly Webb's Rose and Willo Davis Roberts Girl with the Silver Eyes. I must immediately buy the other books in the series, as I'm the only one who owns any Mr. Pants and I only have the second one!
    • Roller Girl continues to be a very popular selection
    • Lots of excitement with the new Lego books and Minecraft novels
    • 4th-6th girls are very interested in Listen, Slowly, Brown Girl Dreaming, and Tell Me.
    • The I Survived true stories is asked for every time by multiple kids.
    • Interesting that there are lots of Ellie McDoodle fans at two of the elementary schools, almost none at the third (although the one there was was literally bouncing up and down when I told her the author was coming, so one is all we need!). I also found it interesting that the heaviest Raina Telgemeier fans are 4th grade girls, while Ellie McDoodle fans are evenly divided across genders and mostly in 2nd-3rd grade. Also, as many boys asked about Princess in Black as girls, which made me happy, and after I talked it one boy loudly said "I am going to READ that!"
  • Baffled adult services librarian "he wants some kind of underwater adventure series??" me, after 30 second interview "Treasure Hunters by James Patterson"

No comments: