Saturday, September 19, 2015

This week at the library; or, Now things are really starting

New counter in teen area

What's going on; in my head and at the library
  • Monday was scheduling craziness. There was also a staff meeting and errands and cleaning off my desk and THINGS)
  • Tuesday was busy, busy, busy. Toddlers 'n' Books and then the first meeting of the local homeschool/charter school group having classes at the library. They were very well-behaved, but it was busy! Then I set up outreach visits with the local after school community center for middle and high school students (although I think they're mostly middle schoolers).
  • Wednesday was Winter Wigglers and finishing projects in preparation for Thursday and upcoming programs.
  • Thursday I came in to work around 11ish, tackled the mass of stuff on my desk, had a huge and enthusiastic group for Messy Art Club, and then did a presentation at our biggest daycare/preschool/4K site. It was pretty awesome and we've got lots of plans for increased outreach and collaboration in the future!
  • Friday was crazy. That's all I'm going to say.
Programs
Some projects completed/in progress this week
  • Spanish collection development (re-cataloging, weeding, ordering, moving the shelves)
  • Organizing library new book pins (Pinterest lets you move pins now! Yay!)
Professional Development
  • Cybils. I am cybiling like crazy!
Stealth Programs and Displays
What the kids are reading; A Selection
  • I should get more copies of David Shannon's David.
  • ALL four of my copies of Raina Telgemeier's Smile are checked out and I had two fans in today.
  • Harry Potter
  • Patron mentioned how much they loved Jump's Bullfrog books - I'm hoping to get more next year.
  • Homeschool/school groups - apples, communities, self-esteem, art. I need more apple books.
  • Read-alike for Marsden's Moon Runner, which I don't have - I gave her some younger things (Izzy Barr, Jake Maddox) and then Van Draanen's Running Dream with the caveat that her mom should approve it.
  • 10 year old wanting to read Donnelly's mermaid series - mom wasn't sure. I gave her Ingo instead.
  • Leveled book for a sixth grader. I picked Brain finds a leg and My life in dog years.
  • Books for 5th grader and middle schooler
  • Fall books
  • Judith Viorst book

No comments: