The most exciting thing this week is that my first nonfiction column for School Library Journal's new newsletter, is live and online! "Selecting and Promoting Nonfiction in Your Library"
Read With Pearl(Jess) (cancelled due to weather)
- We had a staff meeting. I did things.
- Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions) (Pattie)
- January Outreach: Under the Snow (3 sessions)
- I accidentally showed up half an hour early for outreach, but I was on time for the board meeting! Trying to weed the dinosaurs and schedule performers. With great dexterity I missed the "poop incident" by about five minutes. I did not inquire for further details.
- We Explore Science (Jess)
- This program was a great success! Jess had stations out for the kids to investigate evergreens - painting with branches, a matching game, investigating evergreens with magnifying glasses and water, etc.
- Another webinar, good thoughts on communication and management from Marge.
- Outreach tour with middle school kids from the special education school. They mostly wanted to look around and chat - some had cards and were regular users, some were very interested in getting cards. The video games got a lot of love.
- Books 'n' Babies (Pattie)
- Mad Scientists Club: Science of Snow
- Luckily we had a small group for Mad Science - this is not a project that lends itself to large crowds!
- I had Friday off, in lieu of working several Friday and Saturdays recently.
Projects in Progress or Completed
- Weeding 500s and board books
- Scheduling performers
- Webinars and meetings
- Staff meeting
- Options board meeting
- (webinar) Managing Children's Services: Communication in the Youth Services Department
- Wild Wisconsin Winter Web Conference: My 10 biggest mistakes and how to avoid them with Marge Loch-Wouters
What the kids are reading
- Recommendations for fan of Naylor's Alice - Lauren Myracle. Might do Tara Altebrando next.
- award-winners for a battle of the books for an outside school
- books about Wisconsin
- ballet book
- Cam Jansen
- Muddy Max - wanted more, recommended Summer camp science mysteries
- movies and books about hamsters (only came up with chipmunk movies - hidden kingdoms)
- swiss family robinson
- struggling/reluctant 1st grade reader