Saturday, May 7, 2016

This week at the library; or, Ah, spring

We have a staff member who makes these. Be jealous.
What's happening in my head and at the library
  • Monday
    • No programs! So we were free to concentrate on the aftermath of updating/new computers from last Friday, the art show came to set up, there was a massive glut of shelving, and all other Monday things, like the copiers hating me.
  • Tuesday
    • Winnie the Pooh Tea Party (Pattie)
    • Bookaneers
    • Nice turn-out for Pattie's party, the printers still hate me. Very busy day, tons of people, we discusssed the eating habits of alligators, the lifespan of hamsters, and whether we'd rather be nice or funny and if it was possible to be both at book club.
  • Wednesday
    • Cleaning day. Yes, I went to work in shorts. I was in the back the whole time and previously alerted the staff - there was no way I was going to spend the day hauling things in and out of the basement without shorts! I got the basement cleaned out, my office cleaned out, and now I need to get started on summer planning - and I know what is there! Jess cleaned out the storyroom storage and even came down to the basement a few times, mostly so I didn't just throw everything out.
  • Thursday
    • Mother Goose on the Loose (Pattie)
    • Today I ordered supplies for the summer as well as tackling my backlog of webinars. Multitasking. I also started putting together summer booktalks.
  • Friday
    • The weather is beautiful, which means I can't breathe. Allergies. Sigh. I got through the 759s though - did ALL the craft books! And then I experienced fish fry for the first time. Eh, it was ok. Midwesterners are kind of weird though.
Projects completed and in progress
  • Reports, budgets, end of month stuff
  • Weeding 700s
  • Cleaning! Planning summer programs! Preparing for outreach visits!
Professional Development
  • Webinar: Press Play! Injecting play into library programs for kids (Wild Winter Web Conference)
    • Take away: add activities for infants to Winter Wigglers next year and use pool noodles to create obstacles
  • New Spring Nonfiction for the Library, Classroom and Home (School Library Journal)
    • Take away: Gareth Stevens' Backyard Birdwatchers, Real-Life Vampires; Rosen Title IX rocks; Lerner Growing Green, Stickmen's guide to how everything works,  (had already decided on/purchased a lot of Lerner previously)
  • Changing Children's Collections (YSS Powerhouse)
    • Take away: This was familiar to me already, as it was about changing picture books which I did! But I was interested in the section on changing juvenile sections (no, dear staff, I do not intend to do it....YET. Mwa ha ha ha.)
What the kids are reading: A sample
  • A fan of Michael Vey was persuaded to try about 10 different series to stay them until the next book (or possible movie) comes out
  • Griffin books
  • Eldest
  • Sarah Dessen
  • Cinco de mayo movies. That was a new one for me, and not something I could come up with anything for
  • Mysteries for a Boxcar fan - Hardy Boys, Brixton Brothers, and Encyclopedia Brown
  • Hey Arnold movies
  • playtime rhymes

No comments: