Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Read, Read, Read, said the Baby: Busy Builders, Busy Week by Jean Reidy, illustrated by Leo Timmers

Wait, didn't we just do this? Well, this is the board book version of yesterday's picture book. Usually it takes quite a while for board book editions to be released, but this one was published at the same time as the picture book, so I got to compare both.

Apart from the endpapers and title page, the board book version has the same text and illustrations, just in a more compact format.

While I usually prefer more minimal and less detailed illustrations for board books, since I consider the audience for this format to be 0-2, I have to admit this book has a lot of charm as a board book. The smaller format makes little details, like the polka-dotted cement mixer, really pop and I can see young listeners who are able to sit still looking for all the little jokes in the pictures.

Verdict: I think this will circulate, but it wouldn't work as a choice for a lapsit and ultimately I don't think it's ideal for a board book, due to the illustrations which are a little too busy in the smaller format. It's fine as an addition to your board book collection, but if you have to make a choice, go with the picture book version.

ISBN: 9781681190297; Published 2016 by Bloomsbury; Review copy provided by the publisher; Donated to the library

1 comment:

Annette said...

I was interested in your comments about what you look for in board books. I usually feel very irritated by picture books masquerading as board books, so I'm interested that this one works. I'm going to have to think harder about my definition of a good board book. Food for thought!