Monday, October 18, 2010

Bridget's Beret by Tom Lichtenheld

I generally am not in favor of "arty" picturebooks. I would rather see picturebooks about kitties and doggies and penguins than about artistic expression and the creative urge.

And in case you're seeing a trend, yes I do generally approach each new book I read with suspicion. I'm that kind of person.

Anyhow, I will make an exception to my no-artsy-picturebooks rule for Tom Lichtenheld. Bridget, proudly topped off by her genuine artist's beret, loves drawing. Her exuberant, colorful pictures dominate the warm greens and yellows as she paints and draws her way through the landscape....until her precious beret is lost. Will she ever discover the joy of art again?

This colorful and funny picturebook is full of hints for getting the creative juices flowing, gentle nudges about artists' inspiration, and plenty of sly and silly humor.

Verdict: Highly recommended! A great story to read before you do crafts or art projects in the library, or just for fun!

ISBN: 9780805087758; Published April 2010 by Henry Holt; Borrowed from the library

No comments: