Friday, July 28, 2017

BlastBack: Vikings by Nancy Ohlin, illustrated by Adam Larkum

I was really excited about the first book in this series, Ancient Egypt, but when I tried another I was a little disappointed.

This book follows the format of the other titles. It starts with a brief history of the Vikings, then explains their history in different countries, culture, politics, and family structures. There's also a chapter on the Icelandic sagas and the legacy the Vikings left. Larkum's line drawings decorate the pages, illustrating ships, clothing, and battles.

Somehow, even though this is a favorite topic of mine, I found it really...dull. It just didn't have the pizzaz and humor of the first title I read. It felt more like a textbook than narrative nonfiction. I can't really say why; maybe it's because I have more familiarity with the topic, maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

Regardless, I'm still recommending this series. Even if one entry is a bit more blah than the others, it's still a great choice for beginning readers who like Magic Tree House and history. I'm going to see if I can get some feedback from readers and find out if they felt the same about this title or if I was just having a bad day.

Verdict: A strong purchase for your beginning chapter sections.

ISBN: 9781499803853; Published 2017 by little bee; Purchased for the library

No comments: