Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ivan the Terrier by Peter Catalanotto


There are both pros and cons to this picturebook.

Cons: Ivan's eyes, especially on the cover, totally freak me out. They look like they're marbles embedded in wooden cut-outs. Shades of Coraline...

You have to be familiar with several stories to really "get" the story - Three Billy Goats Gruff, Gingerbread Boy, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and Three Little Pigs. Now this may seem like a no-brainer, but I read Bad Boys Get Cookie to a mixed group of kids a while ago and not a single one got the Hansel and Gretel reference.

Pros: Lots of arfy goodness - I can see some excellent storytimes ahead with a good barking chorus.

Fans of the interrupted narrative, as in Melanie Watt's Chester books will love this!

Verdict: So, not perfect, but a good solid addition and I think will be well-received at any library.


ISBN: 978-1416912477; Published September 2007 by Athenaeum; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library; Added to my personal wishlist

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are no cons! (I am very biased - I love love love this book.)