Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Footprints in the snow by Mei Matsuoka

Finally, a Real Wolf.

Wolf is tired of reading about all the nasty wolves in his books. He decides to write his own story about "Mr. Nice Wolf". But it's hard to go against your instincts.

I absolutely adore this book. I love the story-within-a-story page edgings, the blocky little mice, the sly endpapers with suitable book titles.
I could - and undoubtedly will in storytime - read over and over the perfect moment when Wolf gets completely caught up in his story and....oh, that rubber ducky! Heh, heh, heh.

And I absolutely am thrilled that here's one "villain" who ISN'T redeemed by a helpful friend. Sometimes wolves are....wolves.

Oh, and I love the sausagey squirrels. And the plump little birds. And the way the words wind around the footprints.

This is definitely going to be a storytime staple for a long time - I think I will use it in my upcoming preschool visits also!

Verdict: Highly recommended.


ISBN: 978-0805087925; Published October 2008 by Henry Holt; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library; Added to my personal wishlist

No comments: