Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fortune's Magic Farm by Suzanne Selfors

I really liked this story, with its whiff of whimsical charm. The dank and dismal Runny Cove was Dahlesque in the extreme, the magic was wild and exuberant, the ending delightfully happy-ever-after.

 The problem is....I just can't think of any kids who I could recommend this to. Maybe Dahl fans, but the second half is a little too sweet for their taste. The closest thing I can compare it to is Eva Ibbotson and as far as I know, I don't have any readers of her at my library. But you never know...Anybody recommend this to anyone? I'm thinking of trying to booktalk it at my upcoming school visits, but I'm reluctant because it's owned by the system, not our specific library.

Oh, and one caveat - SPOILER - I have to say that I really, really disliked the "testing" part. What gave them the right to make her so completely unwanted and miserable? Why should she trust them after that? Doesn't she get to test them? I hated the whole deception thing. Just a personal quibble.

Update: I went ahead and booktalked this and it was a hit! Looks like the Dahl fans will snap it up after all. I purchased a copy for the library and it circulates briskly.

Verdict: Recommended! No caveats after all!


ISBN: 978-0316018180; Published March 2009 by Little Brown; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library

No comments: