Thursday, October 14, 2010

Swim! Swim! by Lerch (James Proimos)

I discovered this book right before I sent my order list and hastily squished it on! I've looked at a couple other books by James Proimos, including Todd's TV, that didn't quite work for me. This one does! Very much so. When I opened it up, I just had to start reading it out loud and I can't wait to perform it with a storytime group!

Lerch, a little fish with a big mouth, wants a friend. He swim, swim, swims up and down, looking for one. The pebbles? No. The diving figure? No. The bubbles? Oh no! The cat? The cat! Why not? And if the cat wants to call him "Lunch" instead of Lerch, well...

There's not really a logical storyline here, but who cares? We just want to read it with funny faces and make all the kids yell "Swim Swim" in unison!

Postscript: We read this in storytime and made swimmy fish motions with our hands - up or down according to Lerch's direction. Hilarious! Delightful!

Verdict: Highly recommended. Buy it for your library, read it in storytime, read it to your staff (with appropriate funny faces) and perform it for bored 5th grade classes. Snicker.




ISBN: 978-0545094191; Published July 2010 by Scholastic; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library

2 comments:

Brimful Curiosities said...

We've read Todd's TV but this is one by Proimos I haven't heard of. Provided your enthusiasm is a good indicator, I'm sure my kids would love reading it with me!

Jennifer said...

Yep, it's fun fun fun!