Saturday, February 14, 2015

This week at the library; or, Vacation is a fleeting dream

Yes, I take awful pictures.
What's going on, in my head and at the library
  • I created a new page for my blog, intended to sort of go with my awards/collection development posts. Basically it's the kind of books I'm looking for (right now). Realistic middle grade fiction featuring Latinas? More tractor books? BRING THEM ON!
  • I took Monday and Tuesday off and promptly came down with a sinus infection. Drat. I hadn't really planned anything though (actually, I forgot I had taken days off until, like, Friday afternoon).
  • My new associate started on Wednesday! My first time training a professional staff member (I, er, didn't really train my summer person last year - I stole her from another library... Hopefully I will get it right...I got some really helpful advice from other librarians and I'm determined! I had a painful sore throat, so it was lovely to have someone to help out at storytime when I visited the schools
  • Then I opened a mysterious box on my desk and I GOT A HILDA DOLL!!! Hilda is going to live at home with me for the foreseeable future (and, of course, I must now buy ALL the books for myself.
  • Yay! TWO schools are signed up for the fifth grade program! It is so much easier (for me) when the fifth grades come to the library for my big program instead of me visiting them at the schools before summer reading. They're a whole different audience than kindergarten - fourth and I have to bring a whole separate bag of books for them! This year I've got Science Alliance, a local group, who is pretty awesome.
  • My other big project this week was laying out my plan for a new summer reading program - I'm presenting it to the staff on Monday. Wish me luck - if it doesn't get approved, I'm going to have to do a heck of a lot of fundraising to get enough money for all the plastic crap I didn't plan to buy this year.
  • Cybils winners!!
Programs
  • I can't believe I didn't talk to a single kid about books this week! This makes me sad.

1 comment:

Ami said...

Snorting at he picture caption - i can't tell on my camera screen when something is fuzzy, and when I download what I think is an adorable shot...ack! Half the time I just leave it, and hope people are viewing my posts on really small screens.