Saturday, April 25, 2015

This week at the library; or, Last blast of winter


What's going on in my head and at the library
  • I'm really glad I cut back on my regular outreach visits a little this month. I did all of my off-site outreach this week and then next week kids are coming to me. The eggs for hatching arrived this week, and we were closed on Friday for staff development.
  • Also, simultaneous pollen allergies and snow are RIDICULOUS.
  • Success story! One of the 4K kids I visited came to the library that afternoon - his mom said he insisted on visiting the library and seeing where I worked and he got a library card.
  • We were closed on Friday for staff development and Jess, my associate, came up with a very snazzy idea for organizing the board books better.
Some Projects Completed/In Progress This Week
  • I shifted the ya graphic novels (not the manga, just the comics) so the new stuff was lower down and more accessible.
  • Finished going through all the easy readers on my desk. Nonfiction sent back to be relabeled, etc. There are only about 50 titles left, waiting to be returned.
  • Processed all the new books - new stickers, loaded to Pinterest, saved on a cart for summer visits and checking out at the library camp out.
  • Worked on setting up shelves and organizing in the basement. This is not a fun job.
Programs
Ongoing and New Stealth Programs and Displays
What the kids are reading; A Selection
  • Looking for Pigeon books - all checked out. Goodnight, goodnight construction site - checked out. I gave them Elephant and Piggie and showed them the construction neighborhood. Also wanted Curious George which I actually had.
  • Books on european immigration in the 1800s. A rare school project - it turned out they actually wanted the history of Ellis Island and I gave them the few things we had (yes, this was an elementary school student)
  • Minecraft requests are ramping up again.
  • Pete the Cat - checked out

No comments: