Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Read, Read, Read, said the Baby: Where's the ladybug? by Ingela P. Arrhenius

[Revisiting this review from 2017. This series continues to expand and is extremely popular. However, the onslaught of the pandemic means that our board book section is largely neglected. I am in a quandary about books like this with soft parts to touch - I have put away all our soft toys and puppets that can't be washed, but I wish there was specific guidance on safety for these.]

As I refresh the board book section, I am trying to strike a reasonable balance between adding all the touchy-feely/movable books that parents and babies love and adding books that will last more than a few checkouts.

I like Arrhenius' simple, poster-like artwork and when I saw that this book involved felt I decided I just had to have it. It's also the first book with our new "Busy Books" sticker, denoting a board book with some kind of toy aspect.

The book is the classic game of peekaboo. Colorful pages ask where a creature is and little readers pull back a flap of felt to reveal the little bug. A green felt leaf with a bite out of it peels back to show a caterpillar, a hot pink tulip reveals a bee, a neon orange rock shows a snail, two white daisy petals hide a ladybug, and the final selection, a turquoise bush, hides a mirror for children to peer into and see themselves.

The flaps are created by a slit in the double pages of thin cardboard, into which is glued the felt. It feels very sturdy, although I don't know how long it will stand up to little hands tugging and pulling. It also may spark ideas in parents for creating their own felt-flap books!

Verdict: Sure to be popular and sturdy enough to hold together at least for a few circulations, I am looking forward to purchasing more titles in this delightful new series.

ISBN: 9780763693350; Published 2017 by Nosy Crow; Purchased for the library

No comments: