Sunday, November 10, 2019

Breakdown of collection development budget

I'm going to try a new series this year, highlighting the best books of my selections for the past year. "Best" is, of course, subjective. It's a mix of what's been popular, what has literary merit, and what I've recommended heavily to families and teachers.

My ordering is pretty much done by November - there are a few things preordered and I'll grab a couple more things at the end of the year with replacement budgets or stuff that was backordered and will go into next year's budget. It's not absolutely accurate, but this is a rough sample of how my budget and selections broke down this year (number of titles added includes donations - I add heavily from review copies, especially in picture books and nonfiction and I donated a lot of teen comics this year).
  • Neighborhoods (Picture books, including holidays and 8x8 pbs): $5,000, 535 books added
  • Board Books: $500, 100 books added
  • Easy readers: $1200, 120 books added
  • Juvenile Series (paperback beginning chapters): $1,000, 235 books added
  • Juvenile Fiction: $4,500, 430 books added
  • Juvenile Nonfiction: $3000, 330 books added
  • Young Adult Fiction: $2,800, 275 books added
  • Young Adult Nonfiction: $500, 45 books added
  • Young Adult Graphics (including manga): $1,200, 155 books added
  • Publishers (series nonfiction and prebound fiction. I purchase from Capstone, Lerner, Scholastic, ABDO and Bearport, not necessarily every year): $3,000, 170 books added
  • Other (parenting, Spanish, professional collection): $1,000, 40 books added

No comments: