Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Small Readers: See the cat: Three stories about the dog by David LaRochelle, illustrated by Mike Wohnoutka

  As soon as I saw the cover of this book, I was sure that it would be hilarious and I absolutely had to buy it - in fact, I was so sure I bought two copies! And I was not wrong. The same duo that brought us Moo! brings a clever meta reader to delight young readers and listeners.

In simple Dick and Jane fashion, the book begins, "See the cat." There's just one problem - the picture on the facing page is of a dog, the yellow dog from the cover. "I am not a cat. I am a dog." As the incorrect text goes on, Max gets more and more annoyed, especially when the text says he is a cat wearing a green dress, riding a unicorn, and his name is Baby Cakes!

In the second chapter, things get dangerous as the narration produces a snake. A mad snake. A ready-to-bite snake! Luckily, Max has got a pencil and his wits about him and averts danger at the last moment. In the final chapter, Max has had it with this nutty narrator, and is ready to stage a protest. He wins a well-deserved nap and all ends well.

Wohnoutka's cartoon art, showing plump yellow Max with a bulbous black nose and skeptical eyes, fits neatly into the minimalist tone of the story. Just like LaRochelle conveys humor with just one or two words, the artist matches this with Max's alarmed, indignant, and embarrassed expressions.

Although this has very few words, the more subtle humor and Max's longer speeches makes this a little more complex than it seems at first and I'd give it to readers who can handle Elephant and Piggie.

Verdict: Hilarious and perfect for reading aloud and alone, buy as many copies as you can!

ISBN: 9781536204278; Published September 2020 by Candlewick; Purchased two copies for the library

1 comment:

David LaRochelle said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed our book, Jean! Thank you for such a wonderful review!