Thursday, May 6, 2021

Branching into chapters: She persisted: Harriet Tubman by Andrea Davis Pinkney, illustrated by Gillian Flint

  I am wary of books written by celebrities or even most contemporary figures. Their popularity wanes and their politics change so quickly, that the books are often outdated faster than they can be published. On the other hand, I'm always looking for more diverse alternatives to popular historical series like I Survived and Who Was, as well as more diverse offerings for readers who are moving into chapters. So while I never looked at the She Persisted books, I did get a copy of the chapter book series to sample.

Andrea Davis Pinkney writes a lyrical narrative of Harriet Tubman's life, beginning with her birth into slavery, through her tumultuous early life, her persistent determination to free her family and others from slavery, and her work as a spy in the Civil War. The story includes attractive black and white illustrations in the style of Alexandra Boiger's original illustrations.

Most of the concepts and words are defined within the text, and Pinkney includes activities and discussion questions, some simple books to read more about Harriet Tubman, websites, and profiles of the authors and illustrators involved in the series.

I was won over by this series; it's at an easier reading level than the previous Who Was alternatives I've found, Lee & Low's Story of... or the VIP series from HarperCollins. It doesn't include too many graphic details, but it gives honest explanations of difficult concepts like slavery. I probably won't be able to add a new juvenile series at this time, but I'll be adding this in paperback and recommending it to readers who have finished all the early reader biographies I have and aren't yet ready for the above series or Girls Survive!

Verdict: If you serve 1st through 3rd grade readers, this is an ideal series to add to your collection.

ISBN: 9780593115664; Published January 2021 by Philomel; Borrowed from another library in my consortium

No comments: