Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Maybe… By Chris Haughton


Haughton’s splashy, hot colors and jagged, cut-paper style show up in another quirky story. This title features a trio of mischievous, dark blue monkeys, who have been warned not to climb down to the mango tree because there are tigers below.

But maybe… they could reach that little one? Or just go a little way? Or run quickly and grab a few mangoes…

Naturally, disaster ensues as the shadowy tigers lurking in the background suddenly pounce and the monkeys barely make it back to their tree. The big monkey returns, congratulating them on staying safe from all the tigers. There are so many tigers they can’t even go to the banana tree! Hmmm, bananas? Maybe….

Haughton’s style has never been a personal favorite of mine, but his quirky and intriguing stories usually grab me anyways, some of my favorites being Oh No, George! and Don’t Worry Little Crab. This latest one didn’t click with me the first time I read it, but the more I pored over it, and once I put it into context of my storytime audience which is slightly older (kindergarten – 1st grade) I can definitely see the appeal. The subtleties of the art and story will fly over the head of most younger listeners, but I can easily see a delighted chorus of noooooo, don’t climb down the tree! Echoing back as the unobservant monkeys get closer and closer to the lurking tigers.

Verdict: A strong purchase where there are already fans of Haughton’s work or older audiences for storytime.

ISBN: 9781536220247; Published September 2021 by Candlewick; Review copy provided by publisher; Donated to the library

No comments: