Friday, January 28, 2022

Happy cats by Catherine Amari and Anouk Han, illustrated by Emi Lenox


At the end of each year I usually go through a sudden burst of reading picture books, trying to make sure I didn’t miss anything good. I’ve felt generally meh about most of what I’ve looked at in this year’s “bonus” reading, but I’m not sure if that’s just because I’m feeling meh in general, or I got all the good stuff this year, or there just weren’t a lot of picture books that clicked for me and what I’m looking for.

I’ve been looking for books for younger storytimes more and more and finding less and less, but this simple, charming book caught my eye and I think it will make a nice addition to storytime for toddlers.

Each spread shows a cheerful exuberance of kitties, messy, fluffy, tidy, startled, and purring. Rhyming text takes readers through the story with simple descriptions, “tree cat, porch cat, book cat, barn cat/sun cat, mat cat, wherever-there-is-yarn cat”

There’s nothing particularly unique or outstanding about the book, unless you count all the excellent drawings of cats, slinking, pouncing, and meowing across the pages. It’s a simple, satisfying read that toddlers will ask for again and again. This is what I’d call a classic storytime book - something you can grab off the shelf for an impromptu storytime and that will always please your audience.

Verdict: Definitely one to pick out for cat storytime, for beginning readers who will appreciate the rhymes, and for all those who love cats.

ISBN: Published 2021 by Abrams Appleseed; Borrowed from another library in my consortium; Added to my order list

No comments: