Monday, March 28, 2022

In short, I am busy: 5th grade field trip

For a few years I hired a performer, then I set up an actual field trip for the 5th graders.

Staff required: A minimum of two, one to be dragooned into supervising the tour and scavenger hunt and myself for booktalking and checkout. I'd be open to resuming the performer, if I get interest in full grade visits again.

My presentation to the kids includes a talk about their responsibilities and privileges as middle schoolers and booktalking.

Preparation: Update the scavenger hunt, make sure the basement appears suitably haunted, check library cards, and prepare books.

Notes
  • 2019
    • This needs a minimum of two people, one to run the tour and me for booktalking and lecturing. Additional staff are really only needed for checkout at the end. I did add a section explaining in loco parentis and contrasting the number of people in their school with the number of people served by the library to explain why I don't have time to work individually with them when they're misbehaving - I will just ask them to leave.

No comments: