Sunday, September 18, 2022

This week at the library; Programs resume

Alas, our one watermelon in the library
garden did not ripen before it was picked.
A storm took down a big sunflower, which
uprooted the watermelon vine so we
had to pick it and hope for the best.
Programs

  • Paws to Read
  • Dungeons and Dragons
  • We Explore Outdoors
  • Pokemon Club
  • Lego Challenge
  • We Explore Artist Eric Carle
  • Kids Make it
  • Lapsit
  • Anime Club
  • Fact Finders
  • TAB: Dance party
Projects and meetings
  • Managers' meeting
Notes
  • As you can see, we resumed programs this week. One of my associates is off and my school colleague doesn't start until the end of September (she's doing hearing and vision screening at the 4Ks) so I did extra storytimes to cover.
I've started a number of new programs this fall and I'll be posting them over the next few weeks. We Explore Outdoors actually started last summer. I had a gap in staff; my school colleague, who normally provided most of my storytimes had retired and the new person was not starting until mid-summer. I was also covering for a number of other gaps. I knew I had to have storytimes, but I decided to do them very simply - no worries about a specific structure - and incorporate outdoor activities in our family garden. It turned out to work very well. They were relatively low-stress, families enjoyed them, and they have turned out to work well as a backup when I need to cover storytime. It helps to have someone set the room for the activity while we're outdoors, but the caregivers will help me if needed.

I've done a lot of different types of maker workshops, going from a class-like style to one-on-one sessions. Now that we have an adult services librarian to take over the adult interests in crafting and making, I'm switching to more of a portable makerspace style with assistance, rather than teaching.

No comments: