Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Alliana, Girl of dragons by Julie Abe

 It's been several years since I read/skimmed Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch, and I never got around to the sequel, but I remembered enough to be interested in this title set in the same world. Alliana has a Cinderella-like existence, working endlessly for her cruel stepmother with only the stolen moments with her step-grandmother and best friend, a baker's helper, to solace her. When her grandmother dies, leaving her only a message to care for the grandmother's family, Alliana feels that her last chance of hope and escape are gone, but accepts the request and the ever-growing cruelty of her stepmother and stepsiblings. Then Nela, a real witch, appears and Alliana saves a baby nightdragon. Maybe there's still a chance for magic in her world?

Alliana's world is threaded with Japanese culture, rather than the stereotypical western medieval fantasy, and she is described as having darker skin. This is not a fast-paced fantasy, but a slow growing of mind and experience as Alliana finally escapes from the abusive family she has been tied to and makes the decision to free herself from the lies of her past. There are moments of magic and excitement, from the tales Alliana and her grandmother share,  to the adventurers visiting the inn, to the encounters with the dragon, and the mysterious dangers of the rift. Although the book is medium-length, a little over 300 pages, I felt like a significant portion of it was devoted to Alliana's emotions and struggles, rather than to explaining the magical events and setting. I would have liked to see a stronger message that Alliana should not have stayed with her abusive "family," even if her beloved step-grandmother had left her instructions to do so; I think it was a realistic depiction of how abuse can warp one's ideas and perceptions, but I don't think most middle grade readers will understand that.

It's recommended for fans of Shannon Hale and Gail Carson Levine, and Eva Evergreen is specifically recommended to fans of Kiki's Delivery Service. I think Alliana, with the hints of magic and a more complex world, the character-driven story, and the delicate threads of Japanese food and culture will indeed appeal to these fans - but do they exist? Frankly, not at my library. I can't remember the last time I got a reader to pick up Hale or Levine and while I have plenty of Studio Ghibli fans, they prefer the movies or the manga. Abe writes beautiful, complex friendships, but the lack of action in the story and the somewhat piecemeal plotting and setting will not attract most of my middle grade readers.

Verdict: While I enjoyed the story myself, and I can think of several adults who would like this, I think most young readers will be disappointed that there isn't more action (and more dragons) and turn back to their favorites like Tui Sutherland. I don't know if it's a temporary trend or not, but my readership for fantasy, especially lengthy fantasy, has steadily decreased and I rarely find kids willing to pick up even Rick Riordan Presents, which flew off the shelf a few years ago. If your library has a good audience for a wide variety of fantasy, specifically of the more thoughtful variety, this may find an audience and be an additional purchase for the collection.

ISBN: 9780316300353; Published May 2022 by Little Brown; ARC provided by publisher

1 comment:

CLM said...

This sounds very interesting but while series fantasy is very popular at my library, I have a hard time coaxing youth to try new authors, especially standalones. Still, I will check this out.

I do often think that the books I liked as a child do not appeal to my patrons, although occasionally if there is a congenial parent, I will suggest they read something aloud like The Book of Three or Diana Wynne Jones because I do feel those will work if the youth listens to the first chapter.