Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Haven: A small cat's big adventure by Megan Wagner Lloyd

I have become extremely choosy about the traditional middle grade titles I purchase, even more so than in previous years, due to various reading trends I see in my community. I almost never purchase titles without at least glancing through them, so unless I get a review copy or borrow it from another library in my consortium, it's probably not going to happen. I am of two minds about this title, which I borrowed to preview.

Haven found refuge as a tiny stray kitten with Ma Millie and now, as a small cat, she never ventures outdoors. She knows nothing of the animals passing in the woods, the adventurous fox and the cruel bobcat. But when Ma Millie falls ill, Haven gathers all her courage to venture forth and find help. Despite the discouraging words of the creatures she meets, and her fears, some of which are realized, she refuses to give up. 

The ending is bittersweet; Haven realizes that her difficult journey was worth it and she has indeed saved Ma Millie, but it's only the postponement of her eventual passing. Haven finds a new home and reconnects, however briefly, with the friends of her journey, having realized that although she is small and scared she has the courage she needs when it matters.

At just a little over 100 pages, this is a short book, which is definitely what most of my readers want. The animal theme is a popular one as well and Lloyd's writing is beautiful and gently humorous. However, it is a more slow-paced adventure, with more description than action and the themes of loss and the natural order of prey and predator are sure to upset some sensitive parents.

Verdict: Ultimately, I think this is one that's worth purchasing. The beautiful writing and more serious subject will attract adult gatekeepers and readers who like titles like One and Only Ivan. The shorter length will make it accessible to the many struggling readers that comprise my audience now and the animal theme will attract a wider range of readers who might not normally pick up something without the raucous humor of popular titles like Dog Man. Your audience may vary, but this should fill a niche nicely for older readers who need something short and for teachers looking for an accessible title to fit their curriculum and a wide range of reading levels.

ISBN: 9781536216578; Published August 2022 by Candlewick; Borrowed from another library in my consortium


No comments: