Sunday, February 4, 2024

This week at the library

Programs
  • Homeschool Hangout
  • Paws to Read
  • Cub Scout field trip
  • Family Storytime
  • Teens make it
  • Winter Wigglers
  • Bookaneers
  • Family Storytime
  • Library on the Go: 1st grade (3 sessions)
  • Fact Finders
  • Young Fiber Artists
Meetings etc.
  • Sewing - Seeds of Hope (3 sessions)
  • Girl Scouts
  • Goodbye party for staff
Notes
  We have a great collaboration with Seeds of Hope, a local nonprofit that works with young adults and adults with disabilities. They cook in our kitchen and hang out in our teen area three mornings a week. I offered to let them use our sewing machines and they brought several clients in this week. I was very clear that I wasn't teaching a class - I did not have time for that! - but I got them going and my staff helped out as needed. They had a pretty good idea of what they were doing and I was glad we could give them that opportunity. It also got me to stop procrastinating and check all the machines (although one is still on the fritz).
  I finished my new format for a new book spotlight. It was very time-consuming, but I feel it was worth it. You can see it here on Canva and sign up to receive it each month on this form.
  I don't know why, but this week just felt never-ending and exhausting and too peopl-ey.

Schedule
  We're more or less on a regular schedule now, and this is roughly what my department schedule looks like.

Monday
  • I work 12-8, covering the information desk in the evening and closing. Once a month I run Homeschool Hangout from 1-3.
  • My full-time associate, J, works 10-6, supervising volunteers who run Paws to Read and covering the youth desk in the afternoon until 6.
  • My part-time associate, A, covers the youth desk in the morning.
  • I'm currently hiring for one of my aide positions, but they will be working three hours in the late afternoon/evening to shelve.
Tuesday
  • I work 9-5, covering the youth desk in the morning.
  • J works 9-5, and runs a rotating series of programs Tuesday afternoon twice a month - Pokemon Club, Teens Make It, or supervising volunteers.
  • A does outreach to our 4 and 5 year old kindergartens.
  • The new aide will hopefully work in the afternoon - they will be backup for Jess if needed (and I'm not available) and shelve.
Wednesday
  • I work 10-6 usually, with afternoon programs that end around 5:30 or 6. Once a month I work 12-8 and do Dungeons and Dragons in the evening. I usually don't leave at 6, although that's what's supposed to happen!
  • J works 9-5 and covers the youth desk in the afternoon, as well as supervising volunteers.
  • A does a storytime in the morning and covers the information desk 12-1. Once a month, she does a field trip for the special education school.
  • The new aide will shelve for 3 hours on Wednesday. My second aide works Wednesday evening and cleans up from programs with a little shelving.
Thursday
  • I work 10-6 usually, with afternoon programs that end around 5:30 or 6. Theoretically. Once a month I do 1st grade outreach and we have manager's meetings every two weeks.
  • J works 9-5 and alternates with our adult services librarian covering the youth desk in the afternoon. She's also backup for my sewing programs and supervises volunteers.
  • A covers the youth desk in the morning.
  • My second aide works in the afternoon and cleans up/helps with programs and some shelving.
Friday
  • I work 9-5 and cover the youth desk in the afternoon.
  • J works 9-5 and usually runs a teen program or TAB in the afternoon.
  • A covers the youth desk in the morning.
  • My second aide works in the afternoon - she is a TAB member and participates in that, helps with programs, and shelves.
Sometimes outreach gets moved around and when my school colleague who does storytime on Tuesday/Thursday isn't there, A takes over. Our goal is to have the YS desk covered 9-12 and 3-5 every weekday and our technical services librarian is very generous about covering at the YS desk in the morning if we need her and she regularly does Wednesday mornings. My director covers it Tuesday afternoon. I think we've got a reasonable distribution of work and desk time and a good programming flow.

No comments: