Sunday, March 17, 2024

This week at the library

This kid came to Project Explore and
made an octopus. You can't see it, 
but there are actual suckers on each
of the 8 legs. They were very
surprised but delighted when I
magically produced suction cups lol.

Programs
  • Paws to Read
  • Family storytime
  • Outreach storytimes (3-4 sessions)
  • Winter Wigglers
  • Project Explore
  • Family Storytime
  • Library on the Go, 1st grade (3 visits)
  • Sewing workshop
  • Volunteer fun
Meetings, outreach, etc.
  • Youth Services pre-summer consortium meeting
  • 4-H (hosting)
  • Youth services staff meeting
  • Autism parents support group (hosting)
  • Treehouse play therapy (hosting)
Notes
  • Our consortium doesn't really have a YS consultant right now, and some others asked me to set up a pre-summer meeting. I did so, and roped in another colleague to chair it while I took notes and my staff ran the virtual aspect. The next day, we had our own summer planning meeting, hoping to get the schedule hammered out although not everyone has their summer schedule ready yet.
  • Outreach storytimes
    • The popular favorite from last time was definitely Laurie Keller's Potato Pants, followed by Croc-a-doodle-doo by Huw Lewis Jones
    • The princess and the (greedy) pea by Leigh Hodgkinson was a universal favorite with kids and teachers alike. It even caught the attention of one student on the spectrum, who usually doesn't listen. One class was very invested in pointing out all the peeks at the cat.
    • Cone Cat by Sarah Howden - I had to remind the kids about Cone Dog from last time. They listened, but it wasn't really that interesting.
    • Mine! A story of not sharing by Klara Persson. Some kids REALLY got this and thought it was hilarious, some were kind of confused but listened closely. They all laughed when she put her mom in the wardrobe.
    • Down the hole by Scott Slater. I loved this one but the kids were kind of meh. Only a couple of them really "got" the humor, even when I walked them through it. I think it would be better for a slightly older audience.
    • Fish and Crab by Marianna Coppo. I don't think this one was supposed to be as funny as I thought it was - but the kids agreed with me! One bright spark even pointed out that the story was a loop. I don't know how much was my funny expressions, but they all loved it.

No comments: