Sunday, April 21, 2024

This week at the library; or, Annual 4K party

Programs
  • Paws to Read
  • Family Storytime (sub)
  • Music to my ears (4K annual celebration)
  • OPtions field trip
  • Family storytime (sub)
  • Library on the Go outreach (1st grade, 3 classes)
  • Volunteer Fun
Meetings, Outreach, Etc.
  • YS Social
  • 4-H (hosting)
  • City Council meeting
  • Girl Scouts (hosting)
  • Managers' meeting
Notes
  • My school colleague, the Parent Connections Outreach Coordinator, who also does our family storytimes and some other programming, runs a big library-wide party for 4K students and their families the third Wednesday in April. This is her second time running it and she does a great job! Our main contribution, besides the space, is organizing things so she has enough time for this big program, which means my associate covers storytime for her the day before and after.
  • For reasons known only to themselves, the city council meeting got moved and I was the only person available (or willing) to go. It wasn't as exciting as it sounds.
  • Outreach stories - one of the 1st grade classes I visited is very "sparky" and they gave me feedback on my stories lol.
    • Everyone loved Kristine Charman's Hen in the Bed and sang along vigorously.
    • Oh are you awake by Bob Shea. I had just ordered this and had mixed feelings about it, but the kids said it was good. The other class I read it with was kind of confused, but it didn't go well with the doc camera I think.
    • Somebody needs to do something about that monster by Doug Cenko. Picked the wrong class to read this too. One sharp-eyed youngster figured it out at the beginning, but there was a sub and this class is very rowdy anyways.
    • When dinosaurs walked the earth by Sean Taylor. This was a surprise hit - I will definitely need to buy it.
    • Nudi Gill by Bonnie Kelso. This was super popular, as I had expected.
  • This has been a week and I worked late every day, closed three days, and FINALLY got home on Friday to find all the power out and that the company had piled all the pieces of tree that had come down on the wires in my parking spot (I do not blame them for this - it was empty and they didn't have to move them at all, they were going above and beyond! And I could just park on the street b/c it's not high summer in my tourist town. It was just One More Thing.)

No comments: