Sunday, June 2, 2024

This week at the library; All the field trips

June Bee Display. The teen one has 
crocheted rainbow bees my associate made.
Programs
  • 4th grade field trip (3 separate classes)
  • 1st grade field trip (whole grade)
  • School visit (2nd grade)
  • 3rd grade field trip (whole grade)
  • School visit (kindergarten)
  • 4th grade field trip (3 separate classes)
  • Summer reading kickoff
Meetings, drop-in events, etc.
  • Girl scouts (hosting)
  • Managers' meeting
Notes
  • This week's main project was field trips. I saw ~530 kids, mostly at the library. Some of the field trips are very involved. Any spare time I had was used in last-minute preparation for summer reading, explaining to people that no, summer reading hasn't started yet, and some half-hearted work on the monthly report which I need to do asap next week.
  • Field trip plan
  • Best sequence of library visit stories
    • Dog vs. Strawberry (you can have adventures just with a library book - and maybe a strawberry - and your imagination)
    • Poopsie gets lost (prepare for your adventures at the library before departing or listening to mysterious voices. no, I do not have books on wrestling crocodiles, but I do have books on first aid)
    • Lucky Duck (weathering the highs and low, you can always fix some bad luck by going to the library)
    • Floof (promoting Paws to Read at the library)
  • This year's 4th grade top choice read-aloud is Elly Swartz' Hidden Truths! Every year one of the 4th grade teachers does an all-grade read-aloud. She's been doing Kelly Yang's Front Desk for several years and kicked off a TON of kids asking for Kelly Yang's books, which I own lots of now! She decided to try something new this year and I gave her a lot of things to look at and she went with Hidden Truths and the kids LOVED it. Time to buy extra copies and Elly Swartz' backlist!
  • Not for next year's kick-off - I meant to have Read and Grow and Reading Explorer folders out with me and forgot. I also need to have some Spanish instructions printed ahead of time. I did it on my own this year, but one more person would be nice.

No comments: