Sunday, June 23, 2024

This week at the library; Summer week 3

Kid at Project Explore got very
into making bracelets.
Programs

  • Family Storytime: Unicorns
  • STEAM challenge: Slime
  • Family Storytime: Unicorns
  • Project Explore
  • Storywagon: TnZ Magic with Zack Percell

    Self-directed events, etc.
    • Summer reading kits: Straw weaving kit OR pompom creature kit
    • Tactile scavenger hunt
    • Lego Day
    • Open Storyroom
    Notes
    • I took Monday off because I was still feeling blah, and it was just as well because our a/c died. It always seems to go down in heat waves. We are in the midst of replacing one of two compressors, which will hopefully help, but we'll need a significant chunk of funding to redo the whole, very old, system. Fortunately, it was fixed by Tuesday. I still had a persistent sinus headache, which did not make me a happy librarian, but the slime program went really well - I'm really liking the small but steady turnout we're getting for programs this summer.
    • The a/c went down again Wednesday afternoon, but I didn't have any programs so I could stay at my desk with my fan aimed at my face lol. I've found a few things with the activity kits I need to tweak - mostly that I need to actually update things and not imagine I've done it and then expect my staff to psychically know if I've done it or not. Oops.
    • Another nice small group Thursday evening. Unfortunately, also no a/c.
    • Storywagon went great - Zack has got name recognition with the kids now, the middle school cafeteria is more or less air-conditioned (unlike the library) and we had ~300 kids all screaming with delight at the top of their lungs lol. We went back and forth on closing Friday afternoon when it hit 80, but the HVAC company we use came to our rescue and finally got things working. I was a limp rag when I left, but it was down to 76! I'm still taking extra fans on Monday, since they probably won't have the 2nd compressor fully installed until Wednesday.

    No comments: