Sunday, September 15, 2024

This week at the library; Pokemon Hangout


Programs

  • Paws to Read
  • We Explore Seeds (2 sessions)
  • Project Explore
Self-directed programs
  • Pokemon Hangout
  • Open Storyroom
Notes
  • My staff member who usually runs Paws and was going to debut our new version of Pokemon Club, Pokemon Hangout, was unfortunately not feeling well, but in the end it didn't matter (I mean, in the scheme of library stuff - we all feel bad for her on her bed of sickness). My director, who works a shift at the youth desk, was going to supervise Paws to Read later this semester anyways and he stepped up for the first one. It really runs itself - the volunteer from the shelter is awesome and we have a very dedicated group of junior volunteers - but I like to have a staff member present to take pictures, keep an eye on things, and help clean up accidents. The next day was the debut of Pokemon Hangout.
  • I started Pokemon Club years ago, pre-pandemic, and it was immediately popular and pretty easy. We just put out crafts, let the kids talk about Pokemon and look at their cards, and then showed a movie for the second half of the hour. I turned it over to my teen associate b/c we hoped that the attendees would channel into teen programs (and because I couldn't stand the Pokemon movie soundtrack). However, it got very exhausting and staff weren't really needed - it was mostly setting up, playing the movie, and enduring the noise. Kids also wanted to meet more than we had time for.
  • I talked to my associate and we decided to change it to a drop-in program and hold it in our program room. We took out the movie, but otherwise kept it the same and are planning to offer it more often. It went really well! Parents appreciated it - they could be in the play area with little ones or at the tables chatting or working with other adults and just pop in occasionally and check on the kids. I gave a five minute call and the kids cleaned everything up super fast. There was a small incident, growing out of some issues we'd been having at Pokemon Club previously, so it worked out better for me to be there to handle it anyways and hopefully that will be the last time it arises. I will say that this worked so well largely because of the general attitude and behavior of the adults and kids.

No comments: