Saturday, October 16, 2010

Balloon for Isabel by Deborah Underwood, illustrated by Laura Rankin

Isabel and her friend Walter desperately want a balloon at their class graduation. But the porcupines aren't allowed to have balloons - if they pop, someone might get scared or hurt! After many plans, Isabel finally comes up one that works!

The bright, simple pictures were attractive, and Isabel's solution was humorous, but I kept doing double-takes. I can't imagine a school keeping one set of children out of part of their celebration for whatever reason. Even if they're porcupines. Isabel's solution was ingenious and her teacher's delight at finally getting her own balloon infectious, but I just can't believe the premise.

Does this sound realistic to teachers out there? I have no real school experience, so I wouldn't know. Label me intrigued but doubtful.

Verdict: Recommended if you need more school stories in your collection. Kids will enjoy the descriptions of all the fun things you can do with balloons and Isabel's sugary solution.

ISBN: 9780061779879; Published April 2010 by Greenwillow; Borrowed from the library

No comments: